I have provided classroom, small group and one-on-one educational intervention at Tampa Day School and The Learning Connection for more than 10 years, helping children find success in reading, spelling, vocabulary and comprehension, as well as aiding students in building skills in math and writing. As a reading clinician, reading specialist, team leader, new hire clinician trainer, and spokesperson for Tampa Day School at all Learning Solution parent orientations and parent trainings, I have dedicated my career to providing academic assistance to children with a wide spectrum of needs from those with learning difficulties to honors and advanced placement students.
I believe in continuing my professional development including regular workshops and seminars in order to maintain my skills and expand my knowledge of new methods for teaching my students including those with dyslexia, ADD/ADHD, Asperger’s syndrome, and other difficulties which challenge their ability to learn. I am highly experienced and have training or certification in many treatment techniques including:
- Lindamood-Bell® Learning Programs, including Visualizing and Verbalizing Program for read
- ing comprehension (LiPS/VV)® and Seeing Stars
- All Kinds of Minds ®
- The Nurtured Heart Approach®, based on the book The Nurtured Heart Approach®, Transforming the Difficult Child by Howard Glasser
- Great Leaps Reading Programs
- Mind Mapping™
- Spelling Demons
- Specific Skills Series
- Soar to Success Reading Remediation Program
- Visual Tracking of letters, words and sentences
What We Do:
I provide individualized lesson plans to aid students struggling with reading, ADD, ADHD, dyslexia, and other learning difficulties. My goal is to help them master the reading process and gain grade levels in reading, writing, spelling, and comprehension. I also offer virtual school support and academic support for students at all levels including honors, dual enrollment and advanced placement classes.
Your child’s individual plan is designed to target weaknesses in phonemic awareness, word attack, spelling, sight words, reading fluency, accuracy, and comprehension, oral comprehension, and written language skills using specific strategies and techniques designed especially to meet their needs. For more advanced students, I can offer techniques for better reading, speaking, math, and test-taking skills.
Whether your child is an auditory, visual, tactile or kinesthetic learner, I will tailor a plan that will build on your child’s strengths and help them master the tools to help them achieve success on their own. The program will provide individual attention and will engage your child in an enjoyable experience that provides real results to help them meet their long-term education potential.
Additionally, I can assist in coordinating services, providing performance feedback and integrating recommended strategies for students receiving other support services such as speech and language, occupational therapy, and counseling. I will work with teachers and other professionals, attend IEP meetings, and provide support to classroom teachers and parents to ensure that each student reaches their full potential.
Some of the ways I help my students achieve success include:
- Reading – phonemic awareness/word attack skills, fluency, comprehension
- Math – calculation/operations, math fact practice, applied problem solving
- Writing – themes, organization, outlining, editing
- Tutoring in other disciplines such as social studies and science
- Study skills and organizational training – research, note-taking, completing assignments, long-term projects
- Test preparation (including FCAT)
Contact me if your child is having difficulty with the following:
- Learning the alphabet and/or recognizing letters
- Accurate identification of words by sight
- Spelling or vocabulary
- Difficulty with reading out loud
- Reading fluency
- Reading below grade level or below expectations
- Organization of thoughts
- Comprehension of oral or written information
- Understanding and following directions
- Comparing and contrasting ideas or concepts
- Sequencing events
- Identifying details and determining the topic of a passage
Please call for information regarding fees as some programs differ.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me. I’m here to help!